Camping (Chapter 1)

Camping


    I woke up to the sound of my alarm. My messy room, scattered with clothing, was exactly as I had left it before I went to sleep last night. 
    I brushed my teeth and changed before heading downstairs into the dining area to have my breakfast. I was hoping to at least a good meal before the long week ahead of me.
    "Irwin, don't look so gloomy," my mom said sympathetically as I left the house. "I'm sure it'll be fun."
    I entered my school bus and sat at the middle, where I normally sat, with my best friend, Ernest. He was adventurous and was looking forward to the camp, unlike the paranoid me.
    We managed to speed up the hour-long journey to the woods by talking about things like video games, sports, and other stuff. 
    "No way," Ernest said enthusiastically as I told him about the new VR games that were just released.
    "I know right! And it only costs ten dollars!" I replied.
    But before we could get too excited, the screeching of tyres as the bus came to a stop lowered my excitement level back to zero.
    "Time to get off the bus!" our P.E. coach announced. "Remember to bring your belongings with you!"
    Sigh.
    Everyone took a seat on the logs around the campfire as the coach droned on about the camp.
    Then, he said something that caught everyone's attention. "We will now announce the people who will be sharing tents!" 
    A sudden murmur came among the crowd of students. Each one of us waited eagerly to find out their partners.
    "... Jessica and Lester..."
    Jessica moaned.
    "Paul and Jake..."
    Both Paul and Jake mouthed, "Yes!"
    "And lastly, Ernest and Irwin."
    Maybe this wasn't going to be so bad after all.

Click for Chapter 2
    

Comments