Camping (Chapter 2)

Camping


    I couldn't sleep that night. Despite my efforts, I could not get my oh-so-active brain to go on shutdown mode. So instead of just lying there and trying in vain to sleep, I decided to read a book. I always brought with me a book to read just in case I ever got bored, or had trouble sleeping. 
    I had read about 30 pages and was about to fall asleep when I heard a loud rustle of leaves. Then another. And another. In fact, it seemed to get louder every time. It was like the creature causing it was getting closer and closer.
    I finally got the courage to move slowly and carefully over to Ernest's sleeping bag, and wake him up. 
    "Wh-wha-" Ernest said loudly as I shook him.
    "Shhh!" I whispered.
    "What's going on?" he whispered back.
    "Listen."
    But the sound was no more.
    "I'll go outside to check," Ernest told me.
    "No!"
    He went out any way, so I patiently waited inside, slightly trembling with fear.
    "All clear!" Ernest's head popped inside the tent, and I jumped in surprise, making him laugh.
    We had celebrated too soon. All of a sudden, Ernest's laughter stopped. He had disappeared. I crawled outside, but I still saw no sign of him. Where had he gone?
    Then as sudden as Ernest had disappeared, I blacked out.
    I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping. I slowly opened my eyes and yawned, before looking around to observe my surroundings.
    It was what seemed to be early morning, judging from the position of the Sun. I had woken up behind what seemed to have a purpose as a home, one of the many that were arranged in a circle around a singular campfire. This layout was very similar to the one back at camp, which was nowhere in sight. 
    I decided to try to look for Ernest, but he had already found me. He came from behind one of the huts and bumped straight into me.
    "Have any idea on what's happening?" I asked, after regaining my balance.
    "Not sure. Woke up few minutes ago too."
    Then we heard a deep voice behind us. 
    "It seems like you're awake now," it said. "Here, take a seat and I'll tell you everything you need to know."


Comments